Name : M L Shankar Kaarmukilan,
• BA; B.L (GLC, Coimbatore)
• LLM (NUJS, Kolkata)
• UGC – National Eligibility Test - Law, June 2012
• Currently, pursuing PhD (Law) in the National Law School of India University,
Bengaluru. The area of research is Law of Shareholders Agreements.
TEACHING/ RESEARCH/ WORK EXPERIENCE:Prior to joining TNNLU, Trichy, Mr. Mukil was teaching in various Universities for about 8 years.
• School of Law, Pondicherry University, Puducherry between November 2014 and July 2016
As an Assistant Professor of Law and Coordinator, School of Law, Pondicherry University, Puducherry, he taught Comparative Corporate Law, Corporate Finance Law, International Commercial Arbitration, Law and Practice of Shareholders Agreements and Research Methods and Legal Writing to the post graduate candidates. He also guided about 15 LLM research dissertations which were successfully defended by the candidates in the public viva-voce. In addition, he was in charge of the administration of the School and the Chairperson of the LLM Programme Committee under the CBCS Regulations and a member of the Special Board of Studies in Law of the University.
• National Law University Odisha, Cuttack between July 2009 to November 2014
As an Assistant Professor of Law here in the National Law University Odisha, Cuttack. He taught Corporate Law, Securities Law for LLM (Corporate and Commercial Laws). He offered various compulsory and optional/honours courses including Corporate Laws I & II, Law of Contracts I & II, Corporate Corporate Finance, Securities and Derivatives Laws, Corporate Governance, Corporate Insolvency and Corporate Taxation, Competition Law and Policy and International Carriage of Goods by Sea for B.A./B.B.A. LL.B. (Hons.).
Other roles at National Law University Odisha:
Admissions Coordinator (2009) and Member, Admissions Committee for 2010, 2011 and 2012. Also Drafted the 1. the National Law University Orissa (Tie Breaking) Rules, 2009 and 2. the National Law University Orissa (Refund of Fees on Withdrawal) Rules, 2009.
Library In-Charge (July 2009 to January 2011) Faculty Member In-Charge of Library. Responsibilities included planning and execution of library including the ebrary(e-Library), physical infrastructure, negotiation, overseeing of ordering and processing of titles, subscription of periodicals as well as e-databases. Ensured that the Varsity Library became associate member of INFLIBNET in the very year of inception of the Varsity. Also drafted the National Law University Orissa (Library) Rules, 2009.
Faculty Advisor, The Moot Society (July, 2009 to June, 2013) Guided the students to function collectively, as a society. He structured the annual Intra-University Moot Court Competition (IUMCC) for 2009 and 2010 and was instrumental in selecting students for representing the University in various moots. As Faculty Advisor, he guided the students to have a core committee and to coordinate the IUMCC in 2011 and 2012..
Provost (2012-13 and 2013-14) and Chief Warden (2009-2010)
Responsible for overall management of Halls of Residences for Boys and Girls. Member, Academic Coordination Committee (Apr. ’13 to June ’13)
He was a member of the Academic Coordination Committee between April and June 2013.
Member Secretary (Unanimously elected), Steering Committee constituted by Chancellor’s Nominee In 2012, the committee managed the day to day affairs of the University after the first VC demitted his office and till the new VC assumed office. Coordinator (Administration) appointed by Chancellor’s Nominee
During the interim period when the office of VC was vacant in 2013, he coordinated Examination, Library and Attendance related matters.
Head, School of Private Laws (Jan to July 2011)
Member, Purchase Committee (2009-2010, 2010-2011 and 2013-14)
Chairperson, Anti-Ragging Squad (ex-officio) and also has been a Member of the University Disciplinary Committee Faculty Advisor, Mess Committee (ex-officio).
• National Law University and Judicial Academy, Guwahati- August-September 2011
He had been a consultant and Visiting Faculty at the National Law University and Judicial Academy, Guwahati in Aug-Sep ’11; Sent as a representative of the National Law University Odisha, Cuttack and his services were offered to the NLUJAA, Guwahati in admissions to the first batch where he also taught Law of Torts.
• KIIT Law School, Bhubaneshwar during December 2008-May 2009
Before joining NLUO, Cuttack he was a Lecturer in Law at the, where he taught Corporate Laws I, a compulsory paper, B.A./B.B.A. LL.B. (Hons.).
• National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
As a Junior Lecturer at NUJS in the he was responsible for handling Corporate Laws (Optional Seminar Paper to LLM II Semester as co-faculty) and Constitutional Law II for B.A./B.Sc. LL.B. (Hons.).
AREAS OF RESEARCH/INTEREST:
Corporate Laws including Company Law, Limited Liability Partnership, Securities Market Regulations, Corporate Governance Issues, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Law and Corporate Taxation; Law and Development including WTO Laws, Laws on Foreign Direct Investment, SEZs and other infrastructure related laws.
Nature, Tamil Literature, India’s Linguistic Pluralism and Music.
SUBJECTS TAUGHT FOR THIS SEMESTER:
Corporate Laws - I for B.Com LL.B. (Hons.) and Corporate Finance Law for LLM (Corporate and Securities Laws)
Faculty In-Charge (Library)
RECENT PUBLICATIONS MADE/ CONFERENCES/ SEMINARS/ WORKSHOPS/ TRAINING ATTENDED:
1. He was a privileged participant of the National Conference on Commercial Disputes, 24-25 March, 2018 at TNSJA, Regional Center, Madurai jointly organised by the High Court of Madras, Chennai and the Tamil Nadu State Judicial Academy,, Chennai. It was one of the rare enriching occasion to hear the Honourable Judges of various Constitutional Courts and judicial officers of the sub-ordinate courts from across our Union in one place and for two full days.
2. He was a participant in the two-day workshop on Competition Impact Assessment for Policy Makers, 15-16 February, 2018 at India International Centre, New Delhi organised by the Administrative Staff College of India in association with ScoulaNazionlaedell'Amministrazione (SNA), Rome.
3. He participated in the Post Empanelment CCI Capacity Building Orientation Workshop, 16th October, 2017, Competition Commission of India, New Delhi.
4. He attended the Three day workshop on “New Approaches to Human Rights Teaching for Protection of Rights of Weaker Sections”, 7-9 April, 2017 at Dept. of Law Kariavattom Campus, University of Kerala jointly organised by the Bar Council of Kerala M K Nambyar Academy for Continuing Legal Education, Ernakulam.
OTHER INSTITUTIONAL AFFILIATIONS
He was an invited examiner for Course of Independent Study (CIS) relating to Business and Constitution in IIM, Tiruchirappalli in 2017.